Published on 24th July 2018
A topic that is integral to every business but isn’t spoken about nearly enough in Hong Kong’s startup community. Many startups have experienced the sting of not knowing what to do when it comes to Human Resource Management, and their only point of reference would be the internet.
Therefore, HaTCH, in conjunction with our partners, FastLane Group and Garage Society, gathered an awesome panel of HR & Talent specialists to discuss some of the most important aspects of HR & Talent, and share some of their success stories.
Some points that were discussed included:
- Different methods on how to facilitate employee growth
- Essential documentation you need for your HR department
- The most effective onboarding methods
- Biggest hiring challenges we see in HK’s startup community
- The best ways to keep employees engaged in a startup
We were honored to host a panel of highly respected HR & Talent Acquisition managers from rapidly growing and well-established startups such as:
- Alice Schutt – General Manager at Metta
- Derek Koo – Talent Manager and HR Business Partner at OKAY.Com
- Anu Pathay – Talent Acquisition Manager at MoneySmart Group
- Cindy Chui – CEO at FastLane HR Solution Services
This interactive panel was moderated by Garage Society’s very own James Bernando, who expertly engaged the audience during the discussion and allowed for questions throughout the session. Some of the key takeaways from this event included:
- People interviewing at startups often attempt to negotiate salary and benefits but don’t usually negotiate annual leave, which is often less than that at an MNC
- Startups should highlight growth opportunities to the candidates they interview – sell the vision and where the company is going
- Get the talent you interview to think outside the box – some employ tests within their interview process such as the Myers Briggs test to identify the right personality
- When dismissing employees (which is never an easy task), don’t linger during the process. Give notice with proof and supporting documents, and be respectful to the employee
- Some great channels TA Managers are using to find talent include WHub and HaTCH
- Craft a quicker hiring process than the MNCs as you are competing with them for talent
We want to say a big thank you on behalf of HaTCH and our partners to all those that came and those that participated – we will continue to contribute to Hong Kong’s startup community, and we couldn’t do it without your support.
If you would like to find out more about this event or our upcoming events, please get in touch with me on email@example.com.